Profile picture for jm17

which is better, honey oak stained or white painted woodwork around interior windows and doors?

• October 23 2009 - Pembroke
  • 0

White  Mouldings; Window Casings, Baseboards, and even crown Moulding will always differentiate each aspect of your contrasted Wall Color, and Flooring, All will 'pop' with their respective attributes...Unless you have a Tahoe Cabin, or Rustic aesthetics.

Profile picture for NeryGainor
I would go white - much fresher and modern.

~ Nery

To answer the 2 year old question....They both are great looking choices if done right. It depends on personal taste and other decor factors.

Profile picture for EllieFlower
I like white too.  I think it makes the windows more appealing to look out of.  It just seems cleaner and fresher.

Profile picture for VanessaCollinss
Personally, I will go for white painted woodwork.

White is more pleasing it also allows the eye to flow more easily around the room which gives the room a sense of more space. Wood trim. Breaks up the visual flow.

Profile picture for sryan1980
that's totally a matter of personal taste. the answer may also depend on if you have hardwood floors.

Profile picture for bookreader451
I am still stripping paint in my bungalow and cursing the owners that thought white paint is better than natural wood.  These are the same people who kept the hardwoods under carpet for 30 years so need I say more. 

I'd have to say white - it's modern and clean, as was said below, and it's easy to touch up the inevitable wear and tear.   The exception:  if you have a home like an Arts and Crafts-era bungalow where the woodwork is a big part of the character of the house, then leave it wood.   I am also a professional stager and in general the white is much more versatile and has a wider appeal. 

I guess it depends on the overall style of the house but, not having seen your house, I'd say go with the white. It's clean and more modern. The wood might result in a very dated look. (Of course, some people still like that sort of thing...)

On first response I would say white because today's buyers don't like the lighter woods of the 80-90's.  The truth is, the bigger picture is what matters the most. It really depends on your target buyer and what their expectactions are of your home style, age, location and price.  As a Certified Home Stager and Realtor, I try to find the balance for my clients to save time and money so I would recommend that a professional evaluate your situation before you put in the sweat that might not increase your equity.  Good luck.

Great question. Either way, a qualified painting contractor can take care of both. :) Being silly, but either way, you certainly want consistency, having all trim either all stained, or all painted in the same room. Ok to have stained trim in one room and paint in the other, but you have to be careful mixing the two paint schemes. We have kitchen, breakfast nook, dining room all in same ceiling, wood floor, stained sliding glass Pella door, matching Stone and Log stained mantel. Rest of home has painted Pella window trim with painted window ledges. Good Luck!~  

I would have to say its a matter of taste. Although I have to say I think painting it white is inexpensive and gives it a clean look.

I would go with the wood.  Let the buyer paint it if they want to.  Painting is a lot easier to do than stripping paint off.  

WHITE PAINTED WOODWORK!  The white creates a finished look against your wall color and is much more updated than honey oak.

Two fold answer - If you are painting to stay then I would suggest you paint what you like.  If you are painting to sell then I would suggest you paint is a neutral, clean looking color that will appeal to the masses. 

Good luck with your decision!

All My Best,

Sharon McNamara, Broker | Owner | Realtor

It depends on the style of the house. If the house is more like Arts and Crafts, stained wood will look great. If the window casing is stained wood, it looks best if other trims in the house is also stained. Painted white will gives you crisp and updated look. And it goes with almost everything.

90 % of the time we use Swiss Coffee for the windows, doors and trim. Most of the time the ceiling is Swiss Coffee and the walls are a contrasting color.

Well, the oak stained tends to look dated and I am assuming the floors are also oak as well as the kitchen cabinets and so forth, usually when people have oak on their windows, they have it everywhere. I do paint the wood work and make it look more updated, besides, once the walls and ceilings are painted the contrast makes the room look more beautiful and lets the floor be. Less is more!!

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg
I love the look of the painted woodwork in my current home.  I have oak floors throughout so the contrast is nice.  I used Benjamin Moore's White Dove and love the color. 

I would reccommend white or ivory painted woodwork.  The light color makes rooms seem bigger and brighter.  The natural wood is considered dated due to the fact that new construction uses plastic coated woodwork in white or ivory color.  Smart move asking before doing.  Good luck!

traditionally stained wood is the norm and the way to go... If the wood is in good condition (not pitted, or splintered) and be finished nicely I would go this route. With that being said... I have also seen, an done, painted woodwork in homes which sometimes helps to accent the homes natural lines and/or features and looks great as well.

Really it is a matter of preference... keep in mind though... it is easy to paint stained wood, but not as easy to unpaint and restain. Leave that choice up to someone else.

Profile picture for Corcoran1
In my experience the stained wood is much more popular.

When in doubt, go with wood.....assuming the wood is in very good condition.  If the wood is in so-so condition and you need to refinish, talk with your local paint store, local stagers, or RE agents about what stain colors are most popular now.  If the wood is gappy, split, and generally in less than so-so condition, fill the gaps and paint.

Profile picture for real estate mike
I've seen both that looked great. It depends on the overall look and style of your house. There is some great software that some pros use to show you what each might look like after the project is complete, you might research that. Myself, I love to see the wood. best of luck