who can I talk to about a scam?

• April 20 2013 - Bowie
  • 0

I am a Realtor and have a home in Bowie on the market "For Sale".  The last two days I have gotten a dozen calls from various people inquiring about this property, only they saw it on the Zillow website and it was being aadvertised by the "owner" "For Rent" for $1200.00/month.  One person said they talked to the owner the the owner told them that there was a dispute with their agent and it is no longer for sale.  I have been emailed from one of the callers an application to rent with instructions for wiring the security deposit and first months rent.  They have created an email address using the owners name.  After a couple calls, I realized this is a scam and the person who is heading this scam up is propbably getting untold amounts of money for the rental of this property.  One person also said I should report this to the police.  I'm sure they are using pay as you go cell phones and once we're onto them they will get rid of the cell phones and close the email address out which is not the owners email.  This is a vacant property and several people have rode by the property and have seen the sign in the yard is how they have contacted me.  This is truly a criminal offense and wish I knew how to catch them in the act.  Thanks for your help. 

Yes more info please.

If you identified a scam in a rental shown on Zillow, please report it to Zillow by opening the ad page, scrolling to "report problem with listing" and choosing the correct choice in the drop down list. 

You can learn more in Zillow's FAQs on scams and internet fraud.

I think we all need more info to answer your question properly.

What is the scam? You posted in rentals, is it a craigslist post of a rental asking for 1.5 months up front without meeting the Landlord? 

More details please :)

Vince