Profile picture for sagest2

who determines whether or not you have enough equity to purchase a second home?

I have a mortgage on my current home, I have found a house in an adult community at a good price and would like to buy it using an FHA loan.  Who make the determination of the worth of my 1st home to know whether I have enough equity to purchase other home and then either rent or sell current home?
  • October 28 2009 - Pacific
  • 0

Best Answer

The lender providing the new loan may require an appraisal of your current home in order to establish your 25% equity position.  It may be determined by an AVM obtained by the lender cost will be less.  The Underwriter will make the decision what steps will need to be taken.

The bank will require an appraisal to be done on that situation and base it on that.

FHA is a 25% equity position requirement and FAMA is 30% equity position unless I missed a recent change. 

Carl

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was 30% equity if the income from the rental was used to qualify.