Profile picture for rapunzel1

who does the appraiser contact for access to an unoccupied home, the loan officer or the realtor?

My loan officer at the bank that I have been dealing with for 25 years & whom I know has my best interests at heart, said that the appraiser had to have contacted the realtor. The realtor is giving me a hard time about it saying that it is up to the loan officer. But the loan officer  doesn't have access to the house..LONG STORY SHORT, I think I have caught the realtor in a few lies & I really need to know if I am being lied to. thank you !
  • June 09 2011 - Erie
  • 0

Best Answer

Not sure why the realtor would lie about access to the home, but in short the listing agent should be giving access to the house for the appraiser. Loan officers don't deal with these sort of things unless the loan officer is also an appraiser. :)

Its usually the Listing Agent, but not always. It really depends. ie HERE are some instructions I just got today...

Special Instructions:

LockBox Code is: Combination front door 6340 Lock Type:DIGITAL Please note that interior photos of all rooms, exterior photos & any area that need significant repairs along with repair addendum is required Sold and listing comp pictures required with addresses labeled.

This was sent by the AMC - appraisal management company - and NO listing agent or loan agent was mentioned. I have gone through the loan agent for access but only at my own risk because usually the information for a vacant property is wrong if it is second hand, and not from the listing agents mouth. But these days the listing agent may handle 200 short sales and they are just too busy....

Usually the contact info is on the order form, and its either direct (like above) or call one of the agents, usually listing. With new HVCC laws, 'they' dont like us to talk to the loan agent at all about anything...

Listing Agent!

Profile picture for Mar Nygard
The listing agent.  Mar

Profile picture for rapunzel1
Thanks to both of you.

Profile picture for DebbieNateghi
The listing agent. He has authority to access the property. 

I agree with Guy, the Listing Agent has been given permission by the home owner to provide access to the listed home.  The Loan Officer has no responsibilty or authority in this case. The Lisitng Agent should be eager to allow access to the appraiser if he wants to see the deal close.   I don't think going to the seller will be necessary if you end up calling the agent's bBroker.  Best of luck!

Profile picture for rapunzel1
thank you so much. I will do that.

It is typically the listing agent who would be the contact person to access the property.  If you can't get the agent to cooperate, first contact the office manager for the agent.  If unsuccessful, then send a letter to the owner explaining the situation.