Profile picture for birdie39

why does my rental home in Montgomery Village have the wrong square footage?

I have a rental home in Md,9405 Hickory View Place,Gaithersburg. Md 2087 it is showing around 1400 square feet and it should be over 2,000 as it has a walkout basement,which means it should be showing a higher selling price
  • January 19 2011 - Gaithersburg

Hi Birdie,

I think you have 2 questions in your post. First, the square footage. This is usually pulled from the tax record and only includes "finished areas". Is it possible that the basement was finished after the house was originally built? Is it possible that was done without permits? If the county does not know the basement is not finished, the tax record will not show it either. In cases like this, you are at a disadvantage for finding prospective tenants who just use the general data available online.

In my case, as a Montgomery County Specialist, I actually put together a virtual tour of the property, even for rentals. Why? Well, first, I own a virtual tour company, but second because people buy or rent based on the living spaces (i.e. number of rooms, baths, flow, etc.). The virtual tour is what gets them in the door. Once there, they will either like the place or not. The square fottage is no longer a consideration.

The second question I am hearing is, "why hasn't my place rented yet?". The answer could be several factors, and I would have to look at your specific case to know. But in the case of rentals it is usually one of 3 things:

1) The price is too high
2) The condition is below expected for that price
3) The flow of the property is conducive for the majority of people

If you are not already working with a GREAT Realtor, give me a call and we can talk about options.

Alex

How long is it on the market ?Have you had any calls ?Is it listed for the right price ?Have you tried to call the zillow technical department ?
Let me know if i can help !