Profile picture for tnerb123

why is my value less then the others around my house

I live in a town home which all the other town homes are prices almost twice as much as mine.  There all the same.  They have the same appliances, same carpet same space!
  • August 01 2011 - Minnetonka

If you are thinking about selling, get a free comparative market analysis from an agent in order to determine the current value on your townhome. That would be much more accurate than looking at any tax records. I would be happy to perform one for you if you are considering listing your home.

If you don't need to draw equity out or sell your home then enjoy artificially low taxes. Home value does alter based upon location, even in a neighborhood. Corner lots are priced higher, lots with more frontage are assessed higher. With townhomes, end units assess higher than middle units.

I'm assuming you are getting your values from property tax records.  If this is the case my guess would be that you have been living at that property  for many years, while the properties around you have changed during the boom or vice versa you just purchased and the other owners have been there for a while.  The county will usually reassess properties when there is a sale on the property.  Remember that you are just looking at tax values and with the way the market has been you should talk to a real estate agent or appraiser to know what your value would be if you sold the property.  I hope this helps.