Profile picture for doke90

why is the price that I purchsed my home for listed on Zillow? I thought this was private informatio

March 08 2012 - Canton

Purchase price information is public and can be legally viewed.  In most cases it helps potential buyers come up with a price to a comparable property. 

I sympathize with the original posters sentiment but as the inforamtion is publicly available then I see no problem in Zillow publishing so long as they do so accurately. My issue is the grossly inaccurate zestimates that they publish with NO right of appeal by the property owner. Now that really is an intrusion that should be stopped when requested by the homeowner.

Profile picture for hpvanc
It is public information in most of the US.  Informed sellers will use it to understand the market and set a selling price just as much as informed buyers will use it in drafting their offers.  Market transparency is usually considered economically healthy.

The price we pay for our homes is only private while we are working on the deal.  After the title transfers this information becomes public record.  Often times you will notice a list of real estate transfers published in the newspaper.  anyone can go to the county website and look up a property and see the taxes, property info as well as the actual documents that were signed.

I understand you would like to keep that information to yourself but it definitely isn't private at all.  I search up the previous purchase price and let my clients know about it all the time.

One good thing about it being public is that potential buyers can compare how much homes are being sold for and determine "value."

In most states (including Ohio), the purchase price is public information.