Profile picture for gettingrippedoff

why the F**K is my house listed forsale who needs to get sued

i want pictures and all information about my home removed it i will take legal action against zillow and any/everyone else linked to this listing

June 07 2011 - Lakeside

First of all I suggest you provide your address before you get too worked up. Are you sure you're not seeing your "Zestimate?" This is an estimated value Zillow.com assigns to each individual property. It doesn't mean your home is listed on Zillow.com as being "For Sale."

While I agree that the individual should be upset, I think a lot of the blame is misplaced on Zillow.

If you research many of the homes that have either sold or have been removed from but continue to be shown as 'active' on Zillow, you will discover that the previous listing agent has failed to removed the listing from its originating website. If these originating listings were removed from the 'parent' site, then the vast majority of the problem would be solved on Zillow.

I think Zillow gets singled out because it is more visible to consumers and larger than most competing websites. However these 'phantom' listings show up on multiple sites and not just Zillow. So if Zillow some effects a fix, the problem doesnt' go away.

@Oggi:  Your contributions to the quality discussion would be appreciated by Zillow.  I'm not Zillow, don't represent Zillow etc.   Hence, I took the extra effort to provide a link so you could have the opportunity to chime in where you'd be heard rather than in a generic thread.

I wouldn't be happy if my house appeared for sale either, however, I would know to go to the source rather than the destination, just like i have more success if pull the roots of the dandelion.

I understand why @gettingrippedof is so upset.  As a homeowner, you shouldn't have to police your property all over the internet.  Just because some information is a matter of public record, doesn't make the current system of of how it's handled right.  I believe some major modifications need to be made.  That's just my opinion.

Profile picture for Aspertane
Good luck with your lawsuit!

First, relax. Second, everything about your house, including your name if you took ownership using it, is a matter of public record.

As for the photos, you can "claim" your house on Zillow and remove the photos.

If your home is being shown as listed for sale when it's not, you can contact the agent shown as having listed it, and asked that it be removed. Also, I once had a house listed that sold, but it showed up as listed again on Zillow. It turned out to be a glitch in their system. So, find out what's going on, and then ask for the help you need if you can't take care of it yourself.

You may find getting involved in the 'quality" discussion elsewhere in the advice section is something  useful. (Read it from beginning to end before contributing.)  I apologize, but have no interest in rehashing it here.

Zillow (like many internet real estate sites) doesn't syndicate with most regional MLSs, so synchronizing would be difficult.  Many agents don't realize that there is no syndication,  and get in quite a snit when their listing doesn't appear on Zillow from the MLS. This is part of the learning process as time passes and technology changes.

@ wetdawgs,

There are other real estate sites that pull listing data directly from the MLS and once the status of a property changes, they usually update within 24hrs.  If they can do it, so should Zillow. 

As for "Make Me Move" or private listings, the ownership needs to be verified before one can list or claim a property.  But for that to properly work, the public records of ownership also need to be updated at least monthly.  It's a lot of work but when you let people post homes for sale or rent outside of the MLS,  some responsibility and accountability is needed.  

Unfortunately, there are a lot of agents who post listings on Zillow who shouldn't be.  So, follow Sunnyview's advice, get to the source and vent your frustrations to their ear.  Or, be polite and it might happen  more quickly

@Oggi:  I've seen Zillow make substantial improvements, but there is still a way to go.  Do you have some suggestions on how Z can improve the feeds that appear magically and never disappear when a house is sold?   (Zillow has a sticky thread for input.)

I have been monitoring questions asked on Zillow in CA for the past several months and the sheer number of problems and complaints I see posted from day to day is astonishing.  There has to be a better system than what Zillow currently uses.  

And your address would be.......

Zillow isn't working the big room in Vegas. They don't read minds.

Hello. You can claim your house and remove the photos as the owner, but if the house is listed for sale the old listing agent will have to be contacted before you can claim it. Sometimes an old owner or listing agent forgets to remove the house listing from all automatic feeds so the listing keeps getting sent to sites like Zillow. If you look at the bottom of the page there should be a "listing provided by" with a blue hotlink showing the agent or site that the listing is coming from.

The most effective way to get the old listing down is to email the agent and tell them the listing needs to be removed or you can also flag the listing with the yellow "edit" pencil under the photo to let Zillow know that the house was sold and the listing is not current.

Once the for sale listing is taken off you can use the same yellow "edit" pencil on the home page to claim your home as the owner and remove or correct any left over information. Hope it helps.