will a medical bill affect my chances for a home loan?

received a medical bill in the mail on august 29th,2013 and they are saying they will turn it into collections with in 10days,,will did show up on my credit report if my bank pulls my credit again ,I should be closing no later then sept.11th 2013.( the medical bill is from 3 years ago and was my deceased husband account) thank you.

September 02 2013 - Throop

Best Answer
That'' shouldn't hurt  your chances to get a conventional or FHA loan. If you have the means take care of this small setback.  If you need assistance give me a call

If you're closing in a few days, there is no way that account will be reported to the credit bureaus that quickly.  I would still call the creditor, inform them your husband is deceased, but wouldn't sweat anything changing in the next several days.

Unfortunately, some of these answers are wrong... 

It is correct that a Conventional loan might not be affect by the medical bill, other than the affects it will have on your credit score.

Now, regarding FHA financing, any "collection" over $500, or a combination of $2500, can put a dent in the process-  Many times though, FHA will ignore medical collections, it just depends on the dollar amount.

Since your loan is going to be Conventional, I don't anticipate a problem, unless the lender has specific overlays-  Be sure to check and see what affects its having on your credit scores though...

I'm sorry for your loss. I've worked with a similar situation. Call the folks that sent you the bill. My guess is that they will cancel the bill & collection threat as it's likely that the billing system didn't pick up on fact that your husband is deceased. In my case they requested a copy of the death certificate (emailed vs. certified).

there was no estate I only had a $5,000.00 insurance policy it was unexpected death, the bill is for $550.72 and don`t know why the insurance company didn`t pay, my loan is a conventional loan,,thank you for your help.

If you were not on the bill and service was not for you, it should not be your debt.  Not sure of legal ramifications of debt of an estate, so perhaps you can make a call to the atty that may have been involved in settleling the estate.
How much is bill and should his insurance company have covered the service? Is your new mortgage loan an FHA or Conventional loan?