Profile picture for locksleypark

will a porch and a car port addition increase my taxes?

What home improvements can I do that will NOT increase my taxes?  Taxes are forever, and they only go up, so I don't want to be paying for these improvements for the rest of my life.....
  • February 26 2010 - Town of Hamburg
  • 0

Best Answer

It is very likely that any structural additions to your house would result in an increase to your taxes.  Pretty much anything that increases the value of your home can result in a tax increase as well.  Most towns will perform assessments every so often so even cosmetic changes to the outside of your home can increase your taxes.  Cosmetic changes to the inside are much less likely to trigger a tax increase.

I would like to point out that you should never refrain from getting the proper permits for a project on the grounds that you may have your tax reassessed.  There can be very serious repercussions to this.  I know homeowners who have had to tear out entire kitchens and finished basements because they were fundamentally not up to code.

I hope this helps.
-Ethan

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Don't be afraid to call your county and ask.
They don't have time to follow up on that kind of question.  There's no need to give them your address.
Typically, unless you get a building permit, they won't re-assess your property for the improvements.  Again, they don't have the time to wonder around and regulate the accuracy of their records unless you ask them to come out.  You woulf ordinarily do this because you feel that your taxes are too high.