Profile picture for linz_s02

will installing new updated laminate countertops increase the value of my home?

will installing new updated laminate countertops increase the value of my home?  I like granite, but I think it's too expensive for the price of my home and I don't want to spend a couple thousand for it.
we have just plain white ones now, and would like the laminate that looks similar to granite (brown/tan /black colors--granite looking)

December 10 2009 - Lees Summit

Best Answer

With todays choices in Laminate counter tops there are some amazing looking laminates available these days and well worth checking them out but before making a deciscion I would visit some websites that discuss the problems people are having with Granite counters from stains etc.. If you type in I have a stain on my granite counter in Google you have lot's to read and I have Granite in my own house.

New laminate counters will make the house more sellable, but not necessarily raise your value much, but either will granite and I think in this market unless your're a in a higher end neighborhood I would strongly consider the laminate and it will be LESS maintenance than granite.

If you are handy why not use decorative ceramic tiles.
It will increase the value of your house more than the laminate.
Just make sure you pick the color and style...

Profile picture for noeldesrosiers
you are all missing the point,linz likes granite but not the cost,but he likes the laminate that looks similar to granite and the cost is in his range.the laminate may not add value to his home but if he plans on staying there or selling,the new counter top will enhence the apperance of the kitchen .i am a general contractor

Well, granite is so Y2K that it isn't funny, but laminates have wonderful advantages, so long as you choose something that is complimentary to your kitchen.

If you can draw a color wheel on a sheet of paper from memory, you can probably make a good selection. Otherwise, get some help or it will be money down the drain.

Mr Builder,
 Where was Linz' purpose defined anywhere in the question, or the body of the topic for that matter? You are assuming the "purpose" is to sell the house immediately or even at all and you are basing your response on this assumption, which may or may not be true.

I do agree that a shiny new counter top (any material) will help sell a house house faster than an old dirty one.

And speaking of selling faster... Granite counters, while they are more expensive, they will absolutly sell faster than the same house with a laminate top. Will you recoup every dollar you spend? Maybe, Maybe not, but if you house stays on the market an extra 3 months because it has laminate counters(or others in the neighbor hood sell sooner because they do) what have you lost in mortgage payments?

And, Mr Richards, you took Linz's question too literally. I told Linz that, "It will serve your pupose. It will not increase the value of your home but it will be the "cleanest car on the lot" and will sell faster!." .

Linz knows her neighborhood (market). To continue with your car analogy, a clean, shiny car, with new floor mats will sell faster than a dirty uncared for car.

When you make an "item" more saleable, you increase its intrinsic value.

"you can buy any color Hyundai you want or a green BMW for the same price

and Mr Builder... the exact question was "

will installing new updated laminate countertops increase the value of my home"

My point is that Granite will add value, laminate won't.

And granite has come way down in price too, so I would encourage at least looking into it before eliminating it. I'm not sure about Missouri, but there are granite dealers in my area selling at $29/sq foot... certainly affordable by most people when compared to $100 a Sq foot 10 years ago.

Linz, take the green "Hyundai".

It will serve your pupose. It will not increase the value of your home but it will be the "cleanest car on the lot" and will sell faster!.

And, that's what I think you are really after when you say, "I like granite, but I think it's too expensive for the price of my home and I don't want to spend a couple thousand for it."

Mr. Richard fails to realize that only people who can afford BMW's would choose one. Not everybody is rich.

And hey! Enough already with granite countertops anyway. Isn't everybody sick of granite yet? It's everywhere...YIKES!

Go with your "gut" feeling Linz, you're right on the money.If you want a few more ideas, visit "[embedded hotlink removed by Zillow moderator]
Carl

Profile picture for agentblu15
another option, if you're planning to sell soon, would be to keep the current counters, but offer a monetary allowance to the buyer for counter replacement.  This could be an amount equal to what you would have spent on new laminate, but it gives the buyer the option to either use the money to buy new laminate, or put it towards another material of their choosing.

It might increase your enjoyment of the home, but it won't do much for the it's monetary value.  It won't add value to the home because laminate as a product is considered "disposable" due to the materials low cost and the fact that once damaged it is impossible to repair.
 Some of the new laminates are amazing looking, but we aren't fooling anyone (at least not most) into thinking its something else. With that said, new laminate might make the home more attractive to other buyers, but depending on the color you selected, it might not. Consumers are more likely to accept, or like, a color they might not have picked out themselves if it is a higher quality product. (you can buy any color Hyundai you want or a green BMW for the same price, most buyers will pick the BMW even if they don't love green) Buyers recognize value.
 Almost all other types of counter materials are considered investment quality, meaning they will affect the actual value of the home.
 I always recommend better materials because they add value and typically will last much, much longer than cheaper materials will. As a bonus to adding value to your property, you also get to enjoy the better material as long as you are in the home, and have confidence that it will look as good as new when you are ready to sell.
 I hope this helps... Good luck!