Profile picture for carmen mendoza

would they be willing to tell me the history of the home.

• August 16 2011 - Sunnyvale

Carmen, when you buy a home, the seller should provide you with disclosures.  However, the disclosures are only based on what they know or aware about the house.  If the sellers have only lived in the property for 1 year, then the disclosure may not be as helpful to you.  Also, if the home is bank owned, the seller has never lived in the home so would not be able to disclose too much (as a result, they are usually exempt from some of the disclosures anyways).

I'm not sure what type of history you are looking for but your agent may be able to help with part of it through title records or other sources such as MLS (previous listing data).

Since you are posting in Renters Rights, I'm assuming you are currently a tenant in this home? If so, simply ask the questions in writing. I don't believe anyone is obligated to tell you the history but if you put it in a way that shows you are simply curious, they may answer questions if they are aware of the answer. They may not know any history on the house at all. I'm assuming also that you are wondering about historical questions!