would you sell your home for the current assessed value?

I own 1/3 of a property in CT. I have been offered 1/3 price of the assessed value. Not being from CT i dont know what the market is like. I am curious to know what the actual market is doing in ct?
  • September 25 2012 - Lisbon
  • 0

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. For all of your answers, I do appriciate your help. I did however come across new information... The 1/3 I was offered was NOT assessed value... it was the appraised value according to the assessors office.... so w/ that new information.. what are your thoughts?...

Assessed value and market value are two different things. If they are offering you 1/3 of the assessed value in CT, I would pass. Ask a local agent for a quick 45 day sale price of the property based on recent comps instead. Most will be happy to give you a snapshot CMA that will be more accurate than relying on an assessed value.

In my epxerience assessed value and actual values vary....I would suggest getting a professional opion on value thorugh a local land real estate professional.  Best of luck

Profile picture for Blue Nile
If you are asking if "I would", I absolutely would not sell at tax assessed value, as in my area, proposition-13 keeps the tax assessed value artificially low.  Actually, that is one good reason in my area to not sell at all.  People like to keep locked in low tax rates.

Profile picture for Bonnie And Melinda
In CT, the assessed value is supposed to represent 70% of the market value as estimated by the Town. The actual value of the property can be quite a bit greater or less than this depending on the location, condition, etc. We agree it would be a good idea to either have the property appraised, or obtain a Market Analysis by one or more Listing Agents in the area. Good luck.

Its fairly common in this market ..

I agree I would certainly connect with a couple of local agents who sell within your neighborhood, they will be able to give you an idea of the value of the property right now.  I would not go with the assesed value.  All the best.

I suggest that you contact a few listing agents in the area where the property is located and ask them to conduct a comparative market analysis CMA for you.  That will give you a better perspective as to the lisiting price of the property.  Good luck!

You should contact a couple agents in CT and ask them to do a market analysis of the property to find its value - in today's market. Assessments are for tax purposes and have no real connection to the actual value of a property.

Tim