Profile picture for wgamble2

zestimate of 142 Hunters Ridge Drive, Tullahoma, TN

• March 15 - Tullahoma
  • 0

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
Wetdawgs, I do present a range of the inventory of active, pending, sold and canceled comparables along with my history.  I think its relevant information for a consumer to consider.  In 2013 the homes I listed sold for 102.93% of list price in an average of 11 days on the market.  I also use Zillow, Trulia, Corelogic and Eppraisals information in my listing presentation because I know the public looks at these and other sites and we may have either an obstacle to overcome or a home which appears to be listed below what these sites indicate.  
Dittywah, Zillow's macro or overall information is pretty good. They track the market and note the trends and are as good as anyone to see hot and cold spots.  The more specific you get though, the information breaks down.  It's not Zillow's fault, the data indicates what it does, but individual home specifics can't be calculated without an individual person viewing them and knowing if the home is updated, out of date, in need of major expensive work like a roof etc.  
In the Seattle market Zillow rates itself 4 stars and says that as of right now, 42.4% of their Zestimates are within 5% of the actual selling price.  This is up from around 36% when I wrote a blog on the subject a year ago.  This means that the majority of homes are beyond 5% (high or low, so a 10% spread).  Now, Zillow doesn't claim to make accurate final valuations. They are a place to start which is what I tell my clients.  When an agent knows the inventory, the specifics of a house, the only reason to be more than 5% off is due to a strategy which can result in the seller getting more. 

• March 15

"I wish these and other sites had a clear disclaimer that says, "for entertainment purposes only" like horoscopes do."  and I wish that when agents present CMAs they'd present them along with statistics such as Zillow's value range and statistics to show the particular agent's historical record of accuracy (CMA before sale vs actual sale price).

• March 15

Profile picture for dittywah2003
My brother, in the construction loan business, says Zillow is given some credibility in assessing the market. Their values are largely created by statistics involving nearby sales, a fairly accurate measure of the marketplace.
  • March 15

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
Wgamble,
Your Zestimate is $254,363.  Another site, Trulia says you're home is worth $316,000. Which one is true?  Neither.  No one from either company has ever toured your home, looked in your back yard or seen the updates, deferred maintenance or other issues which will really determine your value. 
If you are going on the market, you need an agent to tour the comparable homes on the market and prepare a market analysis of the recently pending and closed sales that are most similar to your home. 
I wish these and other sites had a clear disclaimer that says, "for entertainment purposes only" like horoscopes do. 
  • March 15

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
You realize it is a computer generated guess - right? It has no real value since it is just a guess at a value.
  • March 15