Profile picture for guyrzoller

zillow information incorrect

I just looked up my home on zillow and find that the information is in serious need of updating.  Renovations over the years have increased the finished area by approximately 1100 square feet, another bathroom added, new roof type, new kitchen and baths upstairs, etc. While I am not in the market to sell now I would like this information to be accurately depicted so that when I am ready to sell I'm not fighting misconceptions regarding the property. How do we go about this?
  • January 21 2011 - Reston
  • 0

Profile picture for jljustis
Zillow is grossly negligent in their Zestimates; posting lower prices for larger better built and maintained homes in the same neighborhood.  I think a class action suite is needed.  If they choose to put information on the Internet which a person cannot prevent, they should be subject to legal ramifications for Zestimates which harm the homeowner. 

Hi Guy,

I serve the Reston area.  If you contact me, I can send you a copy of your tax record and you can ensure that it matches your property.

Guyrzoller,

Most of your renovations will NOT be recorded in the county records, like the new roof, renovated kitchen & baths. However, if you added a permitted bath in the basement, it should be recorded. 

Make sure that the correct square footage of the permitted finished lower level is recorded in the county records. Also keep a record of the new roof and the year it was done to show to the buyers when you decide to sell.

Profile picture for guyrzoller
Everything is permitted and in the county database - I have tax increases to prove it - and the additional space in the basement was actually done to code.  So how, I reiterate, do I get the correct information into your database? Perhaps it has been some time since zillow has queried the local database or tax records?  It can also be that some information - for example type of roof - remains uncorrected in the county database.  Since zillow lists more than what the tax records indicate, what is the mechanism for making the information accurate?

A lot of public information that Zillow draws from is incorrect or outdated in many areas.  Yours may be one of them.  A consult with a local broker whose signs you see the most frequently in your neighborhood should help you get a truer opinion of value for your property.  Also, in my area, the information would be incorrect at the county assessor's office and I would take proof of the improvements to the assessor's office and ask that they update their records accordingly.

Of course, that can open up a new issue if the improvements were done without permits to prevent reassessment which some homeowners do.  In my area, unpermitted square footage will not be used by an appraiser for the sale of a property, so a permit is always advisable.  I hope this helps a little in your situation.