Profile picture for orrus

zillow shows my 450K house was worth 2.26 million, ideas?

zillow shows that my house was worth 2.26 million 2 years ago but it is worth 436k today.  the 2.26 million is a spurious data point based on nothing, the house sold in 1998 and May 2007, so that 2.26 million is just some whacked out problem with the alogrithm.  any ideason who to bring this to the attention of the zillow IT peeps since there doesn't seem to be any type of "send a note" function.  not a big deal, but it is pretty weird. houes is 3704 Falkner Drive, 60564.  thanks for any help

January 16 2009 - Naperville

If it was unclaimed, it must a straight error in the algorithm numbers. Hopefully, Zillow will check it out since you called it to their attention and see what the heck happened.

Profile picture for orrus
I don't think that is it, zillow had it listed about 40 grand more than we paid for it and I don't think the former owner ever claimed it.  besides, I'm not sure how many bedrooms and sq. ft. you'd have to list to get it to spike to 5 times the value, but then again, I don't know the alogrithm so you might be right.  thanks for the repsonse.

That is one hefty spike all right. I wonder if the previous owner created a less than accurate owners estimate to try to "inflate" the Zestimate before they sold the house. That happens sometimes and can affect the numbers temporarily especially is they are very inflated. It looks like your Zestimate now is more in line with your neighbors numbers. It is a little weird, but just think you can tell your family that you got a really super deal on a multi million dollar house when you bought. ;)