Zillow Advice RSS: Question-Discussion-Guide,Home Buying,Richmond- VA http://www.zillow.com/advice/Richmond-VA/home-buying/question-discussion-guide/ Zillow Advice search results | Zillow Real Estate Feel trapped, need HELP! http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Feel-trapped-need-HELP/534030/ I bought my house in March of 2008 for $179K.&nbsp; Of course, when the bubble burst, the value of my house plummeted along with everyone else's.&nbsp; Currently, comparable townhouses in my complex have been selling for $155K.&nbsp; I still owe $166K on my loan.<br/><br/>Now is where this gets complicated.&nbsp; I currently have gotten engaged.&nbsp; He lives 1.5 hours away from me currently, and we are looking to find an area halfway in between.&nbsp; <br/><br/>I thought that I would simply rent out my place until I could have the possibility to break even (considering the 6% realtor fees I would have to pay as well).&nbsp; However, my HOA will not grant me permission to rent.<br/><br/>What do I do?&nbsp; I don't want this house to keep me from moving forward in my life.<br/><br/>PLEASE HELP.<br/>Thank you!<br \><br \>10 replies Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:44:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Feel-trapped-need-HELP/534030/ 2014-03-27T16:44:00Z Changing jobs http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Changing-jobs/527926/ <p class="MsoNormal">Hello, I am thinking of buying a house and I have two questions:</p><p class="MsoNormal">1. I am changing my current employer starting 02/24. My title will remain the same and I will be working in the same field. I am thinking of talking to lenders to start the home buying process, should I wait until I join my new employer?</p><p class="MsoNormal">2. I have decided on my budget. I know, how much I would like to spend and what I want. To start the home buying process, should I start contacting different lenders and get the best quote and eventually a pre-approval letter?</p><p class="MsoNormal">Thanks in advance for your help.&nbsp;</p><br \><br \>4 replies Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:50:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Changing-jobs/527926/ 2014-02-10T15:50:00Z Origination Fee http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Origination-Fee/528232/ I am seeking a loan of 230,000 with a 5% down payment.One of the lenders told me that they cannot tell me the origination fee until a purchase agreement is created. &nbsp;If that is true, how much can it be roughly?<br \><br \>6 replies Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:16:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Origination-Fee/528232/ 2014-02-12T19:16:00Z What options do I have to purchase a home after a 2yr discharge from ch 7 bk.....credit has been http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/What-options-do-I-have-to-purchase-a-home-after-a-2yr-discharge-from-ch-7-bk-credit-has-been/357093/ with no money down and lowest credit score is 610<br \><br \>1 reply Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:01:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/What-options-do-I-have-to-purchase-a-home-after-a-2yr-discharge-from-ch-7-bk-credit-has-been/357093/ 2010-07-09T11:01:00Z Short Sale with an equity loan http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Short-Sale-with-an-equity-loan/520622/ So i have been working on this short sale now since July 1st.&nbsp; Finally get to a point where everything looks like it's in order and all of sudden the sellers realtor comes back and states the home equity loan company wants an additional 7500 dollars to agree to the short sale.&nbsp; I get together with my realtor, my closing attorney, sellers realtor and sellers attorney and everyone agrees to move forward like it's not big deal stating that equity loan holder will go after the seller and not me to try and get their money back.&nbsp; Does this make any sense?&nbsp;<br \><br \>7 replies Tue, 03 Dec 2013 00:10:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Short-Sale-with-an-equity-loan/520622/ 2013-12-03T00:10:00Z Seller dones not have utilities ready for inspection what are my options? http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Seller-dones-not-have-utilities-ready-for-inspection-what-are-my-options/517975/ The seller gave me ten days to get a home inspection done. Five days into my contingent offer on the day of inspection we find out that the utilities are off. My inspector can't make the date in five days. What are my options before i lose my contingent options?<br \><br \>6 replies Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:30:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Seller-dones-not-have-utilities-ready-for-inspection-what-are-my-options/517975/ 2013-11-05T08:30:00Z No HOA http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/No-HOA/517467/ <p>Do they have any builder with no HOA in Richmond area?</p><br \><br \>4 replies Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:08:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/No-HOA/517467/ 2013-10-31T18:08:00Z Buying out of state http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-out-of-state/515721/ Hello. My husband and I are interested in moving to the Richmond, VA area. We currently live in NY but would like to move in June in next year. This will be our first home and we're unsure of what to do. I've found several houses on the Fannie Mae Homepath site. Would it be a good idea to try to buy a house now and move into the home in June? Or should we wait until we have jobs in VA and then look to buy? We also have poor credit (my score is 600) but we're working on building it up. Thank you for any help!<br \><br \>9 replies Thu, 17 Oct 2013 23:15:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-out-of-state/515721/ 2013-10-17T23:15:00Z Buying My First Home. http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-My-First-Home/509713/ I am planning to buy my first home. I do not know anything about home buying. Where do I start from. How do I get help that won't be above my head.<br \><br \>15 replies Mon, 02 Sep 2013 22:40:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-My-First-Home/509713/ 2013-09-02T22:40:00Z Low credit and trying to buy a home. http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Low-credit-and-trying-to-buy-a-home/507114/ I have been looking for quite a while for a house for my family and myself but my credit score is getting in the way. My scores are 629, 580, &amp; 584.I know I can afford a decent house so I've been monitoring for months and I know I wont be able to truly make any dents in my score until after I get my taxes back. Majority of my debt comes from medical bills which I know a few i can pay off before the end of the year. I've read about FHA loans and Seller Financing. Does anyone have further advice for me? Thank you!<br \><br \>7 replies Fri, 16 Aug 2013 01:04:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Low-credit-and-trying-to-buy-a-home/507114/ 2013-08-16T01:04:00Z Tear down and rebuild http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Tear-down-and-rebuild/503883/ We live in an area where there is no affordable land to build a new home. &nbsp;We feel our only option is to tear down an old house and build a new one on that site if we want to stay in the same zipcode, and we do. &nbsp;Can you help me see the pros and cons of such an endeavor? Our present home is about 4500 sf and valued at about $1.5. &nbsp;It is ridiculous to think we can't find something smaller, on a smaller lot than our present 1/2 acre for the same cost, but that is the case in this area.<br \><br \>0 replies Sat, 27 Jul 2013 15:12:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Tear-down-and-rebuild/503883/ 2013-07-27T15:12:00Z First time buyer with bad credit.. http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/First-time-buyer-with-bad-credit/499778/ I'm interested in buying REO Home thats 52k and I have 14k saved up for a down payment but I have poor credit my credit score is around 520/550. What steps can I take to buy this home ?<br \><br \>7 replies Mon, 01 Jul 2013 00:52:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/First-time-buyer-with-bad-credit/499778/ 2013-07-01T00:52:00Z Inventory is getting low!!! http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Inventory-is-getting-low/499628/ Are the rising interest rates and the low inventory inspiring buyers to make quicker decisions?<br \><br \>2 replies Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:14:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Inventory-is-getting-low/499628/ 2013-06-29T19:14:00Z Buying a condo or renting for a few years? http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-a-condo-or-renting-for-a-few-years/498061/ Hi<br/><br/>I'm looking at condos in the 120-130k range in my area (near a univeristy, downtown area, high rental percentage in the area). &nbsp;With rates low, and rising, and housing still pretty low, and rising I thought it would be a smart move to buy. <br/><br/>Now that I'm in the midst of the financing, I've learned:<br/>1) you can't always rent a condo, and that would suck in a few years when a 1 bedroom isn't enough for me <br/>2) if you have a bad HOA (and how do you determine bad?) you can get screwed with special assessments <br/>3) condos don't appreciate like a SFH. &nbsp;<br/><br/>I'm not trying to use this as an investment property, but I would like to live there for 3-5 years, rent it for a few more, then sell for somewhat of a profit. &nbsp;I'm single and in my late 20's, and an entire home is more work than I want to deal with, and I can live in a much more central location.&nbsp;<br/><br/>I'm new to this and am open to advice or warnings. I hear a lot of horror stories, and it's very possible I'm getting in over my head and should just rent and invest the downpayment money elsewhere.<br/><br/>Thanks for the help!<br \><br \>8 replies Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:09:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Buying-a-condo-or-renting-for-a-few-years/498061/ 2013-06-20T13:09:00Z (Moved): What can I do to get more (or better) quotes for my loan request ZR-DTPLCMC? http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Moved-What-can-I-do-to-get-more-or-better-quotes-for-my-loan-request-ZR-DTPLCMC/492883/ This discussion has been moved to the following location: <a href="http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/What-can-I-do-to-get-more-or-better-quotes-for-my-loan-request-ZR-DTPLCMC/492861/">http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/What-can-I-do-to-get-more-or-better-quotes-for-my-loan-request-ZR-DTPLCMC/492861/</a><br \><br \>0 replies Sat, 18 May 2013 01:29:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Moved-What-can-I-do-to-get-more-or-better-quotes-for-my-loan-request-ZR-DTPLCMC/492883/ 2013-05-18T01:29:00Z Is it standard practice to have selected the lender upon signing the purchase contract? I've been p http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Is-it-standard-practice-to-have-selected-the-lender-upon-signing-the-purchase-contract-I%27ve-been-p/488777/ I've been pre-approved but haven't selected the lender I will use as they won't quote me the exact details until I select the house.&nbsp; I'm in the Washington DC area if that matters.<br \><br \>5 replies Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:51:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Is-it-standard-practice-to-have-selected-the-lender-upon-signing-the-purchase-contract-I%27ve-been-p/488777/ 2013-04-20T15:51:00Z Rebate http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Rebate/481756/ If 2 agents share a listing, would it be illegal for one agent to rebate her commission back to the other agent after being paid by broker?<br \><br \>1 reply Thu, 07 Mar 2013 18:50:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Rebate/481756/ 2013-03-07T18:50:00Z I have a contract with a closing date specified and that date has passed but closing never happened. http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/I-have-a-contract-with-a-closing-date-specified-and-that-date-has-passed-but-closing-never-happened/269410/ The seller's attorney and <a href="http://www.zillow.com/directory/real-estate-agents/">realtor</a> were very slow in getting the papers put through - this ended up being a short sale and court motion needed to be filed.&nbsp; Attorney took his time filing and now the contract date has passed.&nbsp; Is this contract void?<br \><br \>9 replies Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:42:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/I-have-a-contract-with-a-closing-date-specified-and-that-date-has-passed-but-closing-never-happened/269410/ 2009-08-18T16:42:00Z Any opinions or details related to Hallmark Home Builders in Richmond, VA? http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Any-opinions-or-details-related-to-Hallmark-Home-Builders-in-Richmond-VA/464608/ <p align="left">I have been looking for a house in Glen Allen and stumbled across Hunton Station. The builder apparently is Hallmark Home Builders (HHB) owned by a Thomas R Towers Jr. They seem to have a connection to Construction Management Solutions in Chesterfield. CMS may be or may have simply been supplying back-office support. Online searches have turned up little and seemingly nothing positive.</p><p>The Better Business Bureau's website states HHB has been in business since 1991 and on file since 1994, but the company is not BBB accredited. They also rate the company &lsquo;F' with 5 complaints over the last 3 years relating to guarantee/warranty issues and problems with product/service. A court search indicated a number of civil cases involving the builder over the last 10 years. Many if not most of these appear to have been dismissed.</p><p>For all I know they could be a great company and the details I've found so far are just typical for a small semi-custom home builder working sometimes with demanding clients/vendors, but&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;.</p><br \><br \>1 reply Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:31:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Any-opinions-or-details-related-to-Hallmark-Home-Builders-in-Richmond-VA/464608/ 2012-10-18T02:31:00Z APPRAISAL REVIEW AFTER 4 MONTHS?? http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/APPRAISAL-REVIEW-AFTER-4-MONTHS/447011/ I applied for a refi on Nov. 10, 2011. I received an appraisal on Feb. 6, 2011. I was sent a list of conditions on Mar. 7 2012. I satisfied those conditions on Mar. 8, 2012 (I had to fax recent check-stubs). I was told I would close on Mar. 23, 2012. When closing came I was contacted and told there was a problem with the appraisal, but the lender couldn't give me complete details of what the problems were. For the past 90 days I've been told they were trying to work out the appraisal problems and today 6/15/2012 I'm just learning the problem was the underwriter demands the appraiser to include things such as my 2 working fireplaces that he left out. Because the appraiser had declined to do so, the lender is now telling me they want to do a new appraisal so the new appraiser can include those things. I've been waiting over 120 days to complete this loan with no resolution in the foreseeable future. I've been inconvenienced and I've been misled. I've been told I was closing in 2 weeks; I've been told there was nothing else that needed to be done everything was fine; I've been promised everything would work out with this loan and all of this has been untrue. Also, I have been sent 5 different disclosures - a new set of disclosures each month, and I've been asked to provide check-stubs each month. I would like to know why would it take so long for the underwriter to say they wanted the appraisal adjusted when they had it for over 4 months and have said on numerous&nbsp;occasions&nbsp;everything checked out?<br \><br \>6 replies Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:54:00 GMT http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/APPRAISAL-REVIEW-AFTER-4-MONTHS/447011/ 2012-06-15T18:54:00Z