Ultimate Golf Lover’s Home — Porcupine Creek in Rancho Mirage on Market for $75 Million
Attention golf lovers: We found your dream property: Porcupine Creek estate in Rancho Mirage, CA.
Porcupine Creek is situated on 249 acres, which includes its own, private 19-hole golf course (an extra hole for playoffs) and it’s for sale for $75 million by Christie’s Great Estates. The course has been listed by Golf Digest as a top 15 course in California. But, before anyone gets excited about buying it and turning it into a revenue-producing business, there’s a little hitch: the original agreement for the development states “…no commercial use shall occur on the property.” Oops.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the creators/visionaries of Porcupine Creek are the now-divorced Blixseths — Tim and Edra — who built Porcupine Creek together (in the late 1990s). It was among their many real estate investments, which included the highly exclusive Yellowstone Club in Montana where members had to pay $250,000 to join the club, pay $16,000 a year in dues, buy at least one lot (priced from $650,000 to $2 million), and then build a home on it. Edra got Porcupine Creek as part of the 2008 divorce proceedings, but the economic downturn has forced Edra to declare bankruptcy, and put Porcupine Creek on the market.
Although Porcupine Creek was their private residence, it was the site of charity events, and golf tournaments for big-money friends and acquaintances.
The 18,430-square-foot main residence was inspired by a Mediterranean villa and is distinguished by two rotunda-like structures that bookend the exterior. Decor includes hand-painted ceiling murals, antique stained-glass windows, towering fireplaces, and walls of windows that look out to the green valleys below.
- Master suite with his-and her bathrooms and offices
- Guest suite with kitchenette and office
- Sunken great room with floor to ceiling windows
- Commercial kitchen
- Children’s wing with two bedrooms, playroom and nanny’s room
- 18-hole golf course (plus a playoff hole)
- Driving range
- Full spa and gym
- Pool area with palapa bar, commercial kitchen, waterslide, and spa with in-ground champagne holder
- Outdoor party grotto with stage
- Children’s play area with circus carousel
- Four 600-square feet casitas (all have main room with king-sized bed and seating area, full bath and kitchenette)
- Four 1,860-sq ft guest houses (2 beds, 2 baths, living room with fireplace, wine closet and kitchen), with outdoor patios
> See more Rancho Mirage real estate