201 S Alexander Ave, Washington, GA 306733 beds, 5 baths, 3,800 sqft
Estimated Monthly Payment
Please enter a dollar amount between $0 and $200,000,000
Please enter a percent between 0% and 100%
If your home facts are wrong this will cause an incorrect Zestimate, click here to update them.
It commands its place on a spacious yet private & inviting 1.21 acre corner lot in the town?s Historic District with close proximity to Museums, the quaint Town Square, Shops, Restaurants, the State's oldest Public Library, and wonderful streets lined with beautiful historic homes ranging from columned mansions to charming cottages.
Over the years, many well-known Washingtonians have graced the halls of the L eitner-Norris Home giving it a storied local past. Archibald Simpson Wingfield, a planter who used this home as his town residence, added the second story to the home in 1837, "the year cotton prices hit a record high." It is also believed that Wingfield attached the rooms now used as the kitchen and the den during his ownership. In 1863, David G. Cotting, who served in the Confederacy & later became Georgia's Secretary of State under Rufus Bullock was the home?s next owner followed by Green P. Cozard. Considered quite the wealthy character, Cozard is rumored to have funded the first professional baseball team in the late 1870's.
The home was purchased in 1881 by Enoch G. Binns whose grandson was reared in the home and became a prominent Baptist clergyman, author, educator and president of William Jewell College in Liberty, Mo. Frank E. Callaway purchased the property in 1918. At the time there remained much more acreage and Mr. Callaway was said to have had milk cows in a barn on the northeast portion of the property, which is presently part of the Episcopalian Church. Callaway was Wilkes County?s Clerk of Court from 1911 to 1933. In 1949 the home was purchased by Major General Lloyd Davidson Brown and his wife Katherine. Katherine Brown was an extraordinary gardner and it is said that every prominent garden in Washington had at least "a little something" in it from Katherine's garden.
As it stands today, the home has evolved into a pristine Federal style two -story home of approximately 3,500+ square feet boasting many architectural features, including wainscoting, glistening heart-of-pine floors, lovely chandeliers, high mantles on 8 fireplaces (most fireplaces are wood burning with the Master Bedroom and Downstairs Bedroom being gas logs), and a beautiful spindled staircase with Newell posts. Large windows, many of which are floor-to-ceiling, bring in natural light throughout the home.
ff of the center hall are a formal parlor, formal dining room, large eat-in kitchen with fireplace, paneled den, gorgeous library with built-in shelves, downstairs bedroom suite, upstairs bedroom suite, additional bedroom and bath upstairs, a sun room, spacious laundry and lots of storage.
There are a total of 4.5 bathrooms in the house. The home is surrounded by gorgeous landscaped grounds, including a beautifully designed inground 40 x 20 Gunite pool with granite borders and mill stone fountain along with a spacious Garden "Tea House" (Gazebo) wonderful for entertaining or personal outdoor enjoyment.
There is also an underground irrigation system in place and a charming picket fence encompassing the rear grounds. Outbuildings include a detached garage, miscellaneous storage buildings, and the so very charming Garden "Tea House".
This is truly a MUST SEE for any Historic Home buyer!
Call or email for more details & Private Showing.
....Priced to sell at an amazingly low $417,000.
- Lot: 1 acres
- Single Family
- Built in 1814
- 118 days on Zillow
- Cooling: Central
- Heating: Forced air, Other
- Last sold: Aug 1993 for $300,000
- Price/sqft: $110
- Flooring: Tile
- Parking: Garage - Detached, 0 space, 400 sqft
- Security System
- Foundation type: Masonry
- Roof type: Metal
- Room count: 10
- # Stories: 2.0
- Structure type: Colonial
- Floor size: 3,800 sqft
- Parcel #: W29- -064
- Unit floor #: 2
- Zillow Home ID: 76618078
- A Zestimate home valuation is Zillow's estimated market value. It is not an appraisal. Use it as a starting point to determine a home's value. Learn more
The Value Range is the high and low estimate market value for which Zillow values a home. The more information, the smaller the range, and the more accurate the Zestimate. See data coverage and accuracy table
Don't agree with your home's Zestimate? Owners can edit their home facts to make the Zestimate more accurate. Plus, you can leave an opinion on your Zestimate value below. Just click "Owner Estimate".
- A Rent Zestimate is Zillow's estimated monthly rental price, computed using a proprietary formula. It is a starting point in determining the monthly rental price for a specific property. Learn more
The Rent Range is the high and low estimate for which an apartment or home could rent. The more information we have, the smaller the range, and the more accurate the Rent Zestimate. See data coverage and accuracy table
Neighborhood for 201 S Alexander Avenue
Learn more about forecast calculations.
- 210 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$81K21.51,980
- 206 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$166K332,351
- 209 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$194K433,699
- 205 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$188K434,003
- E Robert Toombs Ave Washington, GA$89K--1.51,900
- 201 S Alexander Ave # 0 Washington, GA$113K34.5--
- 311 E Liberty St Washington, GA$74K21.51,268
- 303 Water St Washington, GA$71K21952
- 301 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$619K575,084
- 305 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$219K62.54,820
- 308 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$160K422,745
- 207 Water St Washington, GA$58K211,200
- 311 Water St Washington, GA$102K321,595
- 104 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$157K414,505
- 107 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$81K211,292
- 103 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$82KStudio22,000
- 314 Water St Washington, GA$732K221,048
- 309 S Alexander Ave Washington, GA$148K42.53,808
- 209 Water St Washington, GA$102K322,500
- 212 E Liberty St Washington, GA$109K321,999
Data by GreatSchools.org ?
GreatSchools ratings give an overview of a school's test results. The ratings are based on a comparison of test results for all schools in the state.
Disclaimer: School attendance zone boundaries are supplied by Maponics and are subject to change. Check with the applicable school district prior to making a decision based on these boundaries.
Get more information
- About these agents
- These buyers' agents specialize in this area and can assist you in seeing this home or answer your questions.
Are you an agent looking for more exposure for yourself or your listings? Call Zillow at (855) 840-3292