Data Coverage and Rent Zestimate® Accuracy
The home data we have compiled to generate a Rent Zestimate estimated monthly rental price varies by location. Some counties provide all the data we could hope for, but others are lacking such key things as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, or, in some cases, the square footage of the home. The more data we have, the more accurate the Rent Zestimate. And, we've made it easier for our users to help us improve accuracy by incorporating edited home facts into our Rent Zestimate calculations. In some areas, we might not be able to produce a Rent Zestimate at all, but we do have some basic information on the homes. The tables below show you where we have Rent Zestimates and other home information.
A Rent Zestimate is Zillow's estimated monthly rental price for an apartment, home, condo, townhouse or other rental space. It is computed using a proprietary formula. Learn more.
|County||Zestimate Accuracy||Homes on Zillow||Homes With Zestimates||Within 5% of Sale price||Within 10% of Sale Price||Within 20% of Sale Price||Median Error|
|Cass||Two Stars||50.1K||44.8K||29.0%||54.8%||71.0%|| 9.6%|
|Stark||Three Stars||13.7K||6.5K||36.0%||60.0%||84.0%|| 7.8%|
|Williams||Four Stars||5.9K||5.9K||50.0%||63.9%||83.3%|| 4.8%|
|Grand Forks||One Stars||18.8K||5.6K||--||--||--||--|
Last updated: August 26, 2015
Note: To calculate accuracy, we look at the Rent Zestimate of a home and compare that with the rental listing price, if that home is listed for rent.
Click here to download an Excel spreadsheet of this data.
- Zestimate Accuracy/Star Rating:
- This rating is tied to the Median Error in an area.
The ratings are as follows:
- = Best Rent Zestimate
- = Good Rent Zestimate
- = Fair Rent Zestimate
- = Unable to compute Rent Zestimate accuracy
- 0 stars = No valuation
- Homes on Zillow:
- This is the total raw number of homes for which we have data (e.g., number of bedrooms or bathrooms) in a particular locale. These are the homes you can find via maps or search on Zillow.com.
- Homes With Rent Zestimates:
- We can only calculate Rent Zestimates for homes where we have certain data. This column indicates the number of homes in an area with Rent Zestimates.
- Within 5% of Rent Price:
- This is the percentage of listings in a location for which the Rent Zestimate was within 5% of the rental list price. For example, in the Portland area, 31.0% of the time, the Rent Zestimate was within 5% of the rental list price.
- Within 10% of Rent Price:
- This is the percentage of listings in a location for which the Zestimate was within 10% of the rental list price.
- Within 20% of Rent Price:
- This is the percentage of listings in a location for which the Rent Zestimate was within 20% of the rental list price.
- Median Error:
- Half of the Rent Zestimates in an area were closer than the error percentage and half were farther off. For example, in Seattle, Rent Zestimates for half of the homes are within 8.3% of the rental list price, and half are off by more than 8.3%.