VA loans are home loans for the purchase of a primary residence available to consumers who have served or are presently serving in the U.S. military. While the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) does not lend money for VA loans, it backs loans made by private lenders (banks, savings and loans, or mortgage companies) to veterans who qualify.
- Active-duty personnel
- Reservists/National Guard members
- Some surviving spouses
There are many, as taken directly from the Veterans Affairs site:
- No down payment required (unless required by the lender or the purchase price is more than the reasonable value of the property).
- Buyer informed of reasonable value.
- Negotiable interest rate.
- Ability to finance the VA funding fee (plus reduced funding fees with a down payment of at least 5 percent and exemption for veterans receiving VA compensation).
- Closing costs are comparable with other financing types (and may be lower).
- No mortgage insurance premiums.
- An assumable mortgage.
- Right to prepay without penalty.
- For homes inspected by VA during construction, a warranty from builder and assistance from VA to obtain cooperation of builder.
- VA assistance to veteran borrowers in default due to temporary financial difficulty.
Veterans can apply for a VA loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the VA home loan program, but will need a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to prove to the lender they are eligible for a VA loan. Lenders can also get the certificate on behalf of their clients.
Click here for eligibility requirements
2013 VA County Loan Limits : According to the VA there is "... no maximum that an eligible veteran may borrow using a VA-guaranteed loan." However, there are county limits that must be used to calculate the VA's maximum guaranty amount for a particular county. Generally, an eligible veteran can get a loan up to $417,000 with no money down and in some high-cost places, up to $1,094,000.
Shop on Zillow Mortgage Marketplace for live, custom VA loan mortgage quotes. Be sure to click on the advanced tab on the loan request form and check that you are eligible for VA loans.