A Colorado Real Estate company called us last week to refinish all the cabinetry of a home located on Somerset Dr. in Golden Colorado. Found our blog article published weeks before, Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets [link removed by moderator], Web content pays. Vacant, allowing ease of movement and assembly of hardware, we removed all cabinet doors, drawers, priming them with an XIM primer. This primer cost a little bit more, but saves a huge step of scuff sanding, which in turns, saves time and money. Turing out like a Million Dollars, spraying two even coats, of a hard latex enamel, allowing to dry a day in between, the new homeowners will think the original cabinets having factory finish. Taking pictures, will post them here next week.
Go Green! With Earth Friendly Eco Paint of course, having the person and paint company who originated the term "Eco Paint" do it for you.: ) Paint Today, and Entertain Tonight, using either Low or Zero VOC Paint. (Volatile Odor Content). These Clay based paints retain color much better than conventional water borne latex types, without having ammonia and formaldehyde vapors being released for up to 3 years! The exact same type paints were used during the Roman and King Tutt days, still having color preservation today. Green Eco Paint is an area that many still do not know much about, hoping to change that, along with getting the message out to all we come in contact with. Paint Green!
New Lead Paint ruling is not as sticky as being portrayed. Although most homes built before 1978 that have original wood windows, could have Lead Paint as follows;Homes built from 1978-1960 has 25% chance of having Lead Paint.Homes built from 1960-1950 has 50% chance of having Lead Paint.Homes built from 1950-1940 has 75% chance of having Lead Paint.Any home built prior to 1940 without any paint removal or newer windows is almost sure of having Lead Paint. The main thing upon completing the Colorado Restoration, Remodeling, and Paint course this summer, is any contractor who will possibly disrupt Lead Paint must be RRP cert. & provide a safe working area for it's inhabitants and workers alike. This course goes over proper safety procedures insuring a safe work area, limiting the Lead impact of dust and debris this home improvement can cause. We carry a Lead Test kit, testing any home we suspect before any interior or exterior painting work is started. Does add to the total paint or [link removed by moderator] cost, but is running about 25-30% extra, never having to worry about it again. Some states receive Federal money assistance for this, however Colorado is not one of them, having tougher Lead procedures than EPA. This is not near as harmful as Asbestos, but caution is used with every location dealing with Lead Paint. It is our duty building a Greener Eco Friendly America. : )
As many have said, normally person has a good idea after taking measurements, knowing what price range it will be, considering specific windows, doors, flooring, and [link removed by moderator].If it were only painting, we make a habit of measuring interior or exterior, getting paint scheme and schedule from client, calculating, and submitting complete painting quote on site, before we leave, going over all documents. Taking several weeks, I would be very leery, as the contractor does not feel comfortable doing the work, or has not enough passion with what he/she does. This says a lot about future customer service, you may not want. Good Luck!
Why you want to know? You have ghosts? :lol:
Thanks for asking, and if we lived near, would gladly provide a Free In Home Color Consultation. Had to get a plug in there. lol. Lighter colors tend to make a home look larger, darker ones look smaller. Would pick something that not exactly matches Stucco, but compliments. Keep in mind Stucco can be painted using Elastomeric waterproofing paint coating. Looks Flat, but has elasticity, elongation, and tensile strength keeping out moisture that can cause mold and mildew behind substrate. Good Luck!!!
Wow Renee! That was a deal! Wonder if person knew what they were getting into. We would normally charge 5-6 times that amount. Scraping, Skim coating twice, Texture, Prime, and Paint. 2300 sq. ft. @ .60 cents seems unbelievable. : ? lol
Great question. Either way, a qualified painting contractor can take care of both. :) Being silly, but either way, you certainly want consistency, having all trim either all stained, or all painted in the same room. Ok to have stained trim in one room and paint in the other, but you have to be careful mixing the two paint schemes. We have kitchen, breakfast nook, dining room all in same ceiling, wood floor, stained sliding glass Pella door, matching Stone and Log stained mantel. Rest of home has painted Pella window trim with painted window ledges. Good Luck!~
If your home was built prior to 1978, the chances are greater it may have lead paint. 1978 - 1972 [25% chance it has lead paint]1972 - 1960 [50% chance it has lead paint]1960 - 1950 [75% chance it has lead paint]1950 - [95% chance it has lead paint] 5% chance lead paint was removed.Did not know these percentages until I took the RRP (remodel, repair, paint) Lead Course recently for Colorado, even though having Lead Abatement cert. from EPA back in 2005, percentages were never disclosed. Good Luck~
As Pat mentioned, the Kitchen is the "Hub" and life-blood of the home. Found a least expensive way Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets, an article I recently discovered and published. Good Luck!