Bugs- Be Gone
In the summertime, it's time to protect your home from those creepy crawly insects. Here are just a few things you can do to keep the bugs at bay.
- Make sure any wood on the exterior of your home is finished or painted. Some bees prefer to nest in unfinished wood.
- Check the exterior of your home regularly for wasp nests. They like to build them in places like soffits, underneath picnic tables, even inside barbecue grills!
- Make sure you don't have dirt or firewood piled against the siding of your house or fence. Termites are attracted to areas like those. Also, make repairs to any water leaks and replace rotted wood right away.
- Keep your food in sealed containers and keep your kitchen clean. Ants love any food that's been left out (including your pet's food), even traces of food from spills or dropped crumbs.
- Seal all cracks and holes that would give bugs access to the inside of your house. Be sure to check crawlspaces and along the foundation.
If you suspect you have a bug problem, it's a good idea to call a professional. They can inspect your home, spray the perimeter, and remove those unwanted bugs and bug nests.
- Last edited November 30 2008
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
Contributors to this article include:
- 427 Contributions