Constructing a Pond in Your Backyard
- Research and plan your pond
Tips & Tricks
- Pond needs to be deep enough so as to not freeze over in cold areas (this one was 4 ft with a 2 ft shelf around the edge)
- Don't feed the fish! They can live off the plants
- Barley at the top of the waterfall helps to cleanse the pond water
- No chemicals need to be added to the pond, but you will find the water evaporates
- Don't forget a power source for lighting above and beyond the pump!
- Herons find goldfish quite an attractive meal -- we ended up putting a net over the pond to keep predators from eating our fish
- Plan your pond placement so as to avoid tree roots if possible. Otherwise, you'll find yourself sawing through tree roots (not fun)
- There is a negative -- liability. A pond is similar to a pool -- if a kid falls into your pond, a lawsuit from their family is certainly a possibility. Make sure place a "No Trespassing" sign on any gates leading into your backyard to protect yourself.
- Last edited October 12 2012
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.