Delete This Page

Are you sure you want to delete this page? Once you delete this page it cannot be retrieved.

Publish This Page

Are you sure you want to publish this page? Once you publish this page it will appear on the site.

Control the Mold

"It rained so hard last night that now my basement is flooded!" Sound familiar? Unfortunately, it happens to many people and it can happen to you. Flooded homes and homes with rooms that are constantly humid are good candidates for the growth of mold.

 

Molds are fungi that release spores into the air. It is these airborne particles that many people are allergic to. Even worse is what's commonly known as "black mold" or "toxic mold". Toxic mold releases hazardous byproducts called mycotoxins. It grows on materials that are moist and contain cellulose, like wood or drywall.

 

Where Mold Grows


If they land on moist spots, they will continue to grow. Some conditions that enable mold to grow are:

 

-Bathrooms with insufficient ventilation

-Areas where there are leaks

-Clothes dryers and exhaust fans that vent under or back into the house

-Any area that has been flooded

 

How to Clean Mold


Make sure the room is well-ventilated. Simple water and detergent will help clean a small area. Let it dry, and then apply a solution of 1/2 cup of bleach diluted in a gallon of water to kill whatever spores remain. Do not use ammonia. If mixed with bleach, it will create a toxic gas. If all else fails, you may need to consult with a professional company that deals with mold removal.

 

Discourage Mold Growth


You can discourage the growth of mold by:

 

-Using a dehumidifier in damp rooms

-Avoid using carpet in damp rooms

-Make sure all bathrooms and laundry rooms are properly ventilated

-Insulate pipes and install storm windows to prevent condensation

 

It's also a good idea, if you're buying a home, to include a mold inspection before you close. Mold testing generally can cost between $300-$500.

 

As they say, early prevention is key. If you have problems with mold, taking care of them as soon as possible can save you money and headaches in the long-run, especially if you're someone who is allergic.

SAVECANCEL Saving changes
  •   Flag content
    Close
    Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Close
    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    Close
    We're Sorry
    This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
Contributors to this article include: