Energy Saving Tips
If you think you’re paying too much for heating and cooling your home, here are some tips that will help you save money and conserve energy at the same time.
1. Make sure your home is well-insulated. Insulation helps keep your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter, while helping to prevent your furnace and air conditioner from working harder. Start by checking the insulation in your attic, as most of your home's heat is lost through the roof.
2. If you have central air, program it to keep the house at a fairly steady temperature so that it doesn’t have to work overtime playing catch up on the really hot and humid days.
3. Try using fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. They’re more energy efficient and last up to 10 times longer.
4. Look for the ENERGY STAR logo on new appliances. These appliances are the most efficient on the market and exceed the federal government’s standards for energy efficiency.
5. Save energy on heating your water by:
* Updating your water heater to a more efficient model
* Lowering the thermostat on your water heater
* Taking quick showers rather than baths (saves water too)
6. Consider buying new windows. Make sure they are double-paned and use low-emissivity ("Low-E") or spectrally selective coatings on the glass to reduce heat gain. Again, look for the ENERGY STAR logo.
7. Well-placed trees can also help provide shade to your home, which can save money on cooling costs. Keep in mind that 25% of an average household’s energy costs are for heating and cooling.
- Flag content
Stating a discriminatory preference in an advertisement for housing is illegal. If you think this content is discriminatory or otherwise inappropriate and feel it should be removed from Zillow, please let us know by completing the information above.Close
- Content flagged
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
- We're Sorry
- This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.