Home Buyers' Regrets
Hindsight is a great thing - especially when someone with buying experience can tell you what they wish they had known. Here's the beginning of a list of regrets from recent home buyers:
- I should have asked the seller to do more repairs before closing.
- I should have asked my agent to rebate me at least enough to pay for all the closing costs.
- I should have scoped out the neighborhood at different times of day; the neighborhood gets a little dicey at night.
- I wish I had 20 percent to put down on my home so I wasn't saddled with mortgage insurance now.
- I wish I'd thought to have the sewer line tested-it's 90 years old and needs to be replaced.
- I should have bought the cheaper house with good "bones" in the nicer neighborhood and done a little cosmetic fixing.
- I should have done a "practice" commute - that road to work really backs up in morning rush hour.
- I wish I had researched the cost of remodeling before I bought my fixer-upper.
- I should have measured! I am never going to get that queen-sized bed up that narrow staircase.
- I wish I hadn't agreed to an escalator clause - now my house is worth less than what I paid for it.
- I wish I owned stock in Home Depot.
- I wish I had thought about the eventual resale value....my perfect house for two has very limited appeal.
Next article: Basic Mortgage Questions
Previous article: The Home Remodeling Decision
- Flag content
Stating a discriminatory preference in an advertisement for housing is illegal. If you think this content is discriminatory or otherwise inappropriate and feel it should be removed from Zillow, please let us know by completing the information above.Close
- Content flagged
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
- We're Sorry
- This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.