Home Buying One Step at a Time
Do you look forward to monthly mortgage payments, property taxes, insurance payments, landscaping chores, and home repairs? Do you also want the satisfaction of putting down roots, owning your own piece of the American dream, and decorating your dream castle?
If the answer is yes, then home ownership may be for you. If you've never owned before, the process can seem overwhelming. You can get there, one step at a time.
1. Decide whether renting or buying makes more sense for you.
2. Clean up your credit and get your financial house in order.
3. Educate yourself about mortgages and find out how much you can spend on a house.
4. Decide where you want to live.
5. Narrow down the type of house you want to buy.
6. Find out about real estate agents in your area and interview several.
7. Choose the right agent or broker.
8. Assemble the other players including loan officers, real estate attorney, inspector, and financial advisors.
9. Cruise the Internet for available housing.
10. See properties with your agent.
11. Write a purchase contract.
12. Negotiate the deal.
13. Have the property inspected.
14. Get attorney approval on the contract (where applicable).
15. Get the loan approved.
17. Live happily ever after in your new dream home!
By Diane Tuman
Next article: Getting a Good Deal When Buying a House
Previous article: Avoiding Buyer's Regret
- Flag content
Stating a discriminatory preference in an advertisement for housing is illegal. If you think this content is discriminatory or otherwise inappropriate and feel it should be removed from Zillow, please let us know by completing the information above.Close
- Content flagged
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
- We're Sorry
- This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.