Searching for homes or having homes find you?
Just in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, there are currently over 50,000 active residential homes listed in the MLS (North Texas Real Estate Information Systems). This can be quite daunting for a first-time home buyer thinking about purchasing their new home or a family relocating from out of state.
Fortunately, there are many tools available to help home shoppers narrow down their list of possible homes. With the help of a Realtor® this process can be enjoyable and stress free. With the answers to a few questions, a Realtor® can narrow down the list of 50,000 available homes to less than a dozen or two that match your exact criteria.
Here are some of the questions that will help narrow the selection of homes from the thousands to dozens:
- How long would you like your commute to be?
- Where do you spend most of your time: on the couch watching TV; in the backyard enjoying the outdoors; on the computer away from distractions; in the kitchen; behind closed doors in the bedroom; entertaining freinds; or maybe your never home so all you need are the basic necessities?
- Would you prefer a neighborhood with a lot of activity or being secluded on your own residential oasis?
- Do you need to be near shopping or entertainment districts?
- Would you like to have a backyard pool to relax and cool off after a long, hot summer day?
- Where would you prefer to have a garage, in the front or the rear of the home?
- Would you prefer to make the house your own with paint, flooring, and other improvements? Or, would you prefer to find a home that already meets your decorating tastes?
- The kitchen is usually one of the most critical areas in determining if a home fits or not. Many people have a preference for the type of cook top they use, either gas or electric.
Each of these items can be added as a criteria for your home search. While not foolproof, you should be able to narrow down the list of homes quite easily. Many times you are at the mercy of what information the listing agent enters into the MLS.
Give your agent the answers to the questions above. They should be able to provide you with a short list of homes that will save you and the Realtor® time. Your ideal home is only a phone call or email away.
- Last edited November 10 2008
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
Contributors to this article include:
- 427 Contributions