Winter Home Maintenance Checklist
Routine maintenance can improve your home's resale value, increase the efficiency of your home and appliances, and reduce costs associated with emergency repairs. Keep your home safe and efficient year round with these simple projects!
- Remove screens from windows.
- Replace screen door(s) with winter storm door(s).
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Check roof for damage and repair.
- Check and fortify insulation around doors and windows.
- Cover or store patio furniture.
- Make sure your snow equipment is operable and accessible.
- Prune shrubs, and perennials; remove annuals
- Make sure that the water supply that leads to your outside water spigots has been shut off to prevent frozen pipes. In harsh climates, cover your outside faucets with insulated faucet covers.
- Make sure your homeowner's insurance is up-to-date. Make sure your policy reflects recent home improvements, other increases to your home's value, and new major purchases like electronics and appliances.
- Last edited October 12 2012
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.